Saturday, February 13, 2010

Boston Supplement, January 26 -28

Shortly after returning to New York I got a generous invitation down to Boston from Carol who was there on business (and by business I mean "Protecting America"). I got there by Amtrak, I hadn't taken an Amtrak train in 20 years. Really.

I was obviously the new guy at Penn Station but I learned about the waiting games you play.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

City...

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

gave way to country...

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

which gave way to seaside.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Tuesday night we had EPIC burgers at a place called Circumference. No, wait, Radius. One of those terms. But this beauty was one of the best fancy burgers I've had in ages, nice and moist and topped with an awesome horseradish mayo. I can recommend.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

My home away from home: The Copley Marriott.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

View from the room.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Out by the elevator

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Out the window

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

In the lobby

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

The hotel was in a mall.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

The mall had a waterfall.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I had the worst breakfast there.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

After conquering the mall I headed to the Boston streets without a clue.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

There, way off in the distance, is where the Red Sox play.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Err...maybe I went into a Best Buy and played video games for a little while? Sometimes I worry I'm so close to buying a PS3. I better get a busy job soon.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Even without a clue of where I was or where I was going I liked Boston. It's got old stuff everywhere. I need a wider lens, though.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I like taking pictures of statues but it's kind of cheating.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Probably my favorite sight in all of Boston?

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

After a day of wandering I met with Carol to go see Cambridge and all the nerds at Harvard.

Boston, your subway, (the T?), is so weird to me.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

So this is Cambridge.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Following a hot tip we checked out the sandwiches at Pinocchio's. Carol isn't pointing at her face, she's pretending to have a long nose.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Don't sleep on this hot steak and cheese sandwich!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Here we go.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Love the mayo.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Some nerds right by us ordered a whole giant pizza and ate the whole thing as they talked about their study groups and book reports. Nerds!

On to Harvard. I'd often heard talk of this "Harvard Yard" but didn't want to ask what the Harvard Yard was, I didn't want to seem dumb. But my guess was it was pretty much the quad and it was full of brainiac nerds.

Turns out I was right.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Here I am with John Harvard.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Here's the Harvard church.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

My guess is this is the Harvard Field House. It seemed to be about the right size.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Some Harvard columns.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I had Oreo Cake Batter ice cream. Carol had reverse Oreo ice cream. This place we went, it essentially only had Oreo-inspired flavors.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Harvard might be full of geniuses but that doesn't mean they can't park like idiots.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Fact: This Wednesday that all the pictures were from was the day the iPad was announced. I was out and about when it happened, but I definitely noticed when people had started talking about in the stores and on the streets.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

After we had Wagamama I wasn't allowed to stare at this cat shirt all night.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I had most of Thursday to explore Boston aimlessly again.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

This is the big park of Boston.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Not a Swan Boat in sight.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

But there's George.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

And another dude.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Look out! A mine!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Thinky Frog. I also saw a statue of a panther attacking a bird but those pictures didn't turn out so good.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Wait...is Boston the capital of Massachusetts? Because this was the capital building, or something.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Probably a relative of Carol's.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I tried following the freedom trail but I did a terrible job of it. I kept getting lost! How do you get lost when you're supposed to just follow a line on the ground? I don't know, but I did it.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Maybe I got lost so much because of little guys like this dude.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Not a part of the Freedom Trail.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Eventually I got superlost, but fortunately I was in the idyllic part of town.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Eventually I found signs of civilization.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I had no plans on seeing Cheers but stumbled across it anyway. Did you know those people were always drinking across the street from the park? They were!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

At this point I know I know where I am, I also know I need to hustle a little to make my train.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Wish I could have stayed and watched the Chowder-Eating contest in the mall.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I had my own Boloco eating contest at the train station.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

This man must have invented Boston trains. Or Boston trainstations?

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Here it comes!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Don't worry, Lady. It'll stop.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

No comments:

Post a Comment